With pre-orders in full swing and shipping expected to start later in May, DJI is working hard on adding new features to the Mavic AIr 2. Earlier today the drone maker released its latest Mavic Air 2 Firmware Update, version: V01.00.0113
DJI Mavic Air 2 firmware update
What's new in the latest firmware update for the DJI Mavic 2?
- Added FocusTrack. Drag a box around the subject in the camera view to enable FocusTrack.
- Added HDR video mode.
- Added SmartPhoto mode.
- Added Waypoints for Hyperlapse.
- Added 8K resolution for Free and Waypoints in Hyperlapse.
- Increased maximum transmission distance to 10 km or 6.2 miles.
FocusTrack – Pilots can choose from three new modes to capture cinematic footage with a subject locked in the frame.
- Track 3.0: Pilots can select a subject for Mavic Air 2 to automatically follow, helping operators easily record compelling content. The 3rd iteration, the updated ActiveTrack feature uses state-of-the-art mapping technology and new flight path algorithms to offer improved subject recognition, obstacle avoidance along with the ability to quickly re-engage the subject if it temporarily moves behind an object. 4K 30fps is the max resolution when using ActiveTrack.
- Point of Interest 3.0: Set an automated flight path around a specific subject. The updated iteration improves surface recognition which can sometimes interfere with center tracking and the ability to dynamically track subjects like people, vehicles, and more.
- Spotlight 2.0: Found in professional DJI drones like the Inspire 2, Spotlight locks a subject in the frame while the user has free operation of the drone's movement.
I will be checking out these features over the next couple of days. ActiveTrack 3.0 is something that I have tested already and I was really impressed with it. Just keep in mind that the DJI Mavic Air 2 does not have side or top obstacle avoidance sensors, so it is not 100 foolproof! You will need a Skydio 2 or DJI Mavic 3 (presumingly) for that. DJI does not allow me to upload videos to YouTube until Thursday, 12 pm. So be sure to check back in then to see the latest.
DJI will likely keep updating the firmware prior to shipping the DJI Mavic Air 2 so keep that in mind when reading these articles. If you already have your drone, let us know what you think of the Mavic Air 2 firmware update released by DJI.
Get your Part 107 Certificate
Pass the test and take to the skies with the Pilot Institute. We have helped thousands of people become airplane and commercial drone pilots. Our courses are designed by industry experts to help you pass FAA tests and achieve your dreams.
Copyright © DroneXL.co 2023. All rights reserved. The content, images, and intellectual property on this website are protected by copyright law. Reproduction or distribution of any material without prior written permission from DroneXL.co is strictly prohibited. For permissions and inquiries, please contact us here.
FTC: DroneXL.co is an Amazon Associate and uses affiliate links that can generate income from qualifying purchases. We do not sell, share, rent out, or spam your email.