The three ‘entry’ model drones with thermal cameras are the newly launched Parrot ANAFI USA, the DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual, and the Autel EVO II Dual. Today, Kerry Garrison from Multicopter Warehouse and who is a DJI and Autel dealer in Colorado, explains the specs, advantages, and disadvantages of the new Autel EVO II Dual in a well-made and detailed video review. Check it out!
Autel EVO II Dual drone with thermal camera review by Multicopter Warehouse
Kerry says the following in the description of the Autel EVO II Dual video:
In this video, we take an in-depth look at the Autel EVO II Dual. This aircraft features a dual RGB/Thermal camera. This system is perfect for public safety, Search and Rescue, and certain types of inspection work. During this video, we will cover the best uses for the EVO II Dual.
Here are some of the highlight from the video:
- The Autel EVO II Dual has a robust body
- Has a range of 5.5 miles
- 40 minutes flight time but flying at 6,000 feet in CO, he got around mid-thirty minutes
- Twelve vision sensors excellent obstacle avoidance
- 8GB internal storage
- 256 GB external card v30 rated card because of 120mbits data rate
- Dual camera
- RGB camera with 8,000×6,000 pixels, 48MB, 4K, 6K and 8K video, 10bit log format
- Thermal camera resolution 640×512
- f1.8 fixed aperture, 100-3200 ISO
- 6K and 8K video quite a bit of compression, 4K video is the sweet spot
- No geo-fencing
- Picture-in-picture thermal overlay on RGB camera view
Disadvantages of the Autel EVO II Dual:
- No temperature data on thermal camera. It is not radiometric
- Only seeing temperature differential
- No live spot metering, temperature range or temperature alerts
Who is this drone for?
- Public safety (Find a person in a field or forest, body temp versus surrounding temp)
- Roof inspections
- Solar panel inspections
The Autel EVO II Dual will not work for:
- Utility inspections
- Annoying voice command
- Non-removable sticks
- No MSX (thermal and RGB combined) as you have in the DJI drone
DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual only has 160×120 resolution but does offer MSX, loudspeaker, strobe and Spotlight. DJI drone is also smaller, more polished, and flies better. DJI M2ED does not fly as high.
Two concerns people might have:
- It is not DJI… both drones have similar Data Security issues. Don’t share your data!
- We want a non-Chinese drone with thermal… Well good luck finding one. (Ah, hang on… Parrot Anafi USA).
Flying drones as a career?
If you want to turn your hobby into your career, practice how to fly your drone safely, and learn what it takes to get your Part 107, be sure to check out the excellent training modules from The Drone U.
Stay in touch!
Subscribe to our Daily Drone News email.*
Submit tips If you have information or tips that you would like to share with us, feel free to submit them here. Support DroneXL.co: You can support DroneXL.co by using these links when you make your next drone purchase: Adorama, Amazon, B&H, BestBuy, eBay, DJI, Parrot, and Yuneec. We make a small commission when you do so at no additional expense to you. Thank you for helping DroneXL grow! FTC: DroneXL.co uses affiliate links that generate income.
* We do not sell, share, rent out or spam your email, ever. Our email goes out on weekdays around 5:30 p.m.