Well, there’s not much to surprise us with anymore but here we go. Tonight at 8 pm ET, the DJI Mini 2 is officially released by the world’s largest drone maker, DJI. Here are all the specs and things you’re going to love about this little powerhouse!
Mini 2 officially released by the world’s largest drone maker DJI
In case you’re short on time, here what you need to know:
- 249 grams
- Ocusync 2.0
- 4K video at 30fps and at 100Mbps
- 12MP JPERG and RAW/DNG
- Auto-Exposure Bracketing (AEB) with three images
- 31-minute flight time
- Stronger motors
For everyone with a little more time on their hands, let dig in. Starting with a word from DJI President, Roger Luo who said:
“The DJI Mavic Mini was a monumental breakthrough for DJI and for drone pilots across the world, as its unprecedented combination of weight, safety, performance, and overall value became the entry point for countless new drone pilots and fans. The DJI Mini 2 enhances those key aspects, packing larger drone performance in an approachable, small design in the safest drone category that is perfect for beginners and will also impress more experienced pilots.”
Eventhough the DJI Mini 2 lost the word Mavic from its name, this little drone still folds in the exact same way as any other DJI Mavic drone. This one especially packs up small and is easy to bring with you on any trip.
DJI Mini 2 with OcuSync 2.0
One of the features of the new DJI Mini 2 that has me most excited is the addition of OcuSyn 2.0. Not only does this transmission system provide a much longer range (6 miles), but it also provides a much stronger connection between the pilot and the drone. This means that you can be confident when you fly the Mini 2 and you do not need to worry about losing your signal in normal flying conditions. Big thumbs up to DJI for adding this to the Mini 2!
The Mini 2 now has stronger motors that make the Mini 2 more agile and better able to deal with headwinds ups to 24mph.
The DJI Mini 2 is very easy to fly and un-intimidating for new drone pilots. The DJI Fly App is DJI’s way forward. The new app is a lot less cluttered and the layout is easier to understand, helping new drone pilots feel confident in their ability to control the drone. The DJI Mini 2 offers GPS to keep track of the drone and hover in place as well as geo-fencing to make sure you don’t fly in areas where you shouldn’t, such as near airports and prisons. The Mini 2 also features DJI’s return-to-home button to make the drone return to its take-off location.
DJI Mini shoots 12MP stills and 4K, 30fps at 100Mbps
When it comes to aerial photography and videography the DJI Mini 2 has you covered as well. The Mini 2 features a 3-axis stabilized gimbal and a 12MP sensor that shoots images in JPEG and RAW/DNG help you to create the most amazing photos. the DJI Mini 2 now also allows you to shoot triple auto-exposure bracketing images to create HDR photos.
For aerial videography, the drone’s ability to shoot 4K video at 30 frames per second at 100 Mbps is a very welcome improvement over the original DJI Mavic Mini that ‘only’ shot 2.7K video at 40Mbps.
QuickShots: Pre-programmed movements and image capture modes.
- Dronie: DJI Mini 2 flies backward and upward, with the camera tracking your subject. Set a height limit of 40, 60, 80, 100, or 120 ft.
- Helix: DJI Mini 2 flies upward and away, spiraling around your subject. Set a height limit of 40, 60, 80, 100, or 120 ft.
- Rocket: DJI Mini 2 flies straight up into the air with the camera pointing downward following your subject. Set a height limit of 40, 60, 80, 100, or 120 ft.
- Circle: DJI Mini 2 will circle around your subject at a constant altitude and distance.
- Boomerang: DJI Mini 2 flies a boomerang-like oval flight path around your subject, starting and stopping video in the same place.
Panoramas: Capture a wider perspective with select pano modes.
- Sphere: DJI Mini 2 automatically captures twenty-six images and stitches them together for a crystal-clear image.
- 180°: Captures seven photos for sweeping landscape images.
- Wide-Angle: Captures a wide 3×3 image consisting of nine images.
Image modes: Different photo modes for different scenarios.
Once the drone is safely landed you can share your images and video directly to the web and social media from the DJI Fly app. Photos and video footage is downloaded at a high speed of 20MB/s.
DJI Mini 2 accessories
New and updated accessories for DJI Mini 2 help get the most out of its size. These accessories include:
- 360° Propeller Guards: Make the DJI Mini 2 even safer with propeller guards that completely cover the full propellers.
- DJI Mini Bag +: Colorful and fashionable, the new carrying bag adds flair to your outfit.
- Charging Display Case: Show off your DJI Mini 2 in an illuminated clear, Bell jar.
- DIY Creative Kit: Personalize your Mini 2 with custom stickers or blank stickers to create your own artwork.
- Snap Adapter: An adapter that snaps on to the top of the Mini 2 that allows for the attachment of a small LED screen that messages can be written on.
DJI Care Refresh
DJI Care Refresh is now available for DJI Mini 2. For an additional charge, DJI Care Refresh offers comprehensive coverage as well as up to two replacement units within one year. The 2-year plan provides 3 replacement units in 2 years and extends the original warranty period by one more year. Receive your replacement even sooner with DJI Care Refresh Express. DJI Care Refresh also includes VIP after-sales support and free two-way shipping. For a full list of details, please visit https://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh.
Price and availability of the DJI Mini 2
DJI Mini 2 is available for purchase today from store.dji.com and from authorized retail partners. DJI Mini can be purchased in two options. The standard package includes DJI Mini 2, remote controller and one battery for the retail price of $449. The Fly More Combo is also available, which includes three batteries, charging hub, DJI Mini 2, a carrying case and remote controller for the retail price of $599. Additional info here: https://store.dji.com/product/mini-2
Are you glad that finally the DJI Mini 2 is now officially released? Let us know in the comments below.
Flying drones as a career?
If you want to turn your hobby into your career, practice how to fly your drone safely, and learn what it takes to get your Part 107, be sure to check out the excellent training modules from The Drone U.
Stay in touch!
Subscribe to our Daily Drone News email.*
Submit tips If you have information or tips that you would like to share with us, feel free to submit them here. Support DroneXL.co: You can support DroneXL.co by using these links when you make your next drone purchase: Adorama, Amazon, B&H, BestBuy, eBay, DJI, Parrot, and Yuneec. We make a small commission when you do so at no additional expense to you. Thank you for helping DroneXL grow! FTC: DroneXL.co uses affiliate links that generate income.
* We do not sell, share, rent out or spam your email, ever. Our email goes out on weekdays around 5:30 p.m.