After weeks of leaks that included videos, photos, specs, and other information, we finally arrive at the official launch of the DJI FPV drone, which the drone maker promises, offers a reinvented first-person-view drone flying experience. I have had the chance to fly the DJI FPV drone over the last few weeks and I’ll have to agree that the fpv quadcopter flies like no other DJI drone I know, and makes getting into FPV drone flying real easy. Here’s all the official info from the world’s largest drone maker.
DJI officially announces the DJI FPV drone
today DJI officially announces the DJI FPV drone, which the drone maker claims, creates an entirely new drone category. With a top speed of 87 mph, the DJI FPV combines the thrill of high-speed, immersive flying, with the ease of use of DJI drones. The integrated camera with a single-axis gimbal offers the ability to create sweeping cinematic video recordings in 4K at 60fps, 120Mpbs, with a flat D-Cinelike color profile, with the assistance of RockSteady electronic image stabilization.
RockSteady stabilization technology smooths shaky footage and eliminates the rolling shutter effect when filming fast-moving scenes. Advanced distortion correction software can remove the warped and unappealing fish-eye look common in FPV footage. Pilots can record footage in 4x Slow Motion in 1080p and 120 fps to relive epic moments in every detail. Footage can now be stored in H.265 or H.264 which uses less space on the memory card but preserves fine details during compression, says DJI.
DJI FPV safety features and ease-of-use
The DJI FPV drone includes a number of safety features such as obstacle detection sensors, Visual Positioning Sensors, an ‘Emergency Brake’, the ability to ‘Hover’ and fly slowly, DJI’s return-to-home, GPS-based geofencing, and DJI’s AirSense with ADS-B In to warn you of any nearby manned aircraft equipped with active ADS-B transmitters.
DJI made the fpv quadcopter easy to fly with a completely new remote controller, OcuSync 3.0, now simply called O3 for excellent video transmission. DJI also launches a new optional Motion Controller for an entirely new one-handed, intuitive flying experience.
“DJI has been redefining what drones can do since our company began in 2006, and as we celebrate our 15-year anniversary this year, we honor that heritage of innovation by redefining what drone flight can be with DJI FPV,” said Ferdinand Wolf, Creative Director, DJI Europe. “Right out of the box, DJI FPV combines the best available technology for a hybrid drone like no other. It can fly like a racer, hover like a traditional drone, accelerate like a homebuilt project and stop faster than any of them. DJI FPV lets the world experience the absolute thrill of immersive drone flight without being intimidated by the technology or spending hours building a system from scratch. We can’t wait for the world to try it.”
The DJI FPV drone offers three different flying modes so that both beginners and advanced fpv-pilots will feel right at home.
- Normal (N) Mode: During N mode operation, DJI FPV operates similar to other DJI drones, hovering in place with the use of GPS and/or visual positioning systems (VPS) on the bottom of the drone. The most approachable flight mode, N mode allows for obstacle detection sensors on the front to be activated to warn when obstacles are near and slow down. Pilots are tasked with maneuvering the drone away from any detected obstacles.
- Sport (S) Mode: A new hybrid blend of M and N mode, S mode offers some of the dynamic movement capabilities that come with M mode along with some of the key safety features of N mode. S mode is the middle step between the three modes and developed to give pilots more room to explore their skills as they get accustomed to FPV flight.
- Manual (M) Mode: Take full control over the drone with M mode which is designed for more experienced users. While in M mode, all sensors and hovering features are disabled.
DJI FPV performance
The DJI FPV drone comes with strong motors that enable the unmanned aircraft to be not only fast but also very agile. the drone can reach speeds of up to 140 kph (87 mph) and a max acceleration of 0-100 kph (0-62 mph) in just two seconds.
The DJI FPV drone, DJI FPV Goggles V2, and DJI’s Ocusync 3.0 create a crystal-clear, long-range (up to 6 miles), low-latency, HD video feed that will provide an immersive flying experience and unmatched reliability. The system auto-switches dual-frequencies, and offers a high bitrate of 50 Mpbs.
Pilots can choose from several different viewing options, including:
- Standard low-latency HD mode: See the world in 1440x810p in either 60 fps with a wider 142° Field of View (FOV), or 50 fps with 150° FOV. In this mode, latency is as low as ≤ 40 ms.
- Smooth mode: In this mode, pilots activate high frame rates for a more cinematic look to signal latency is decreased to ≤ 28 ms. Resolution is 1440×810p 120 fps with a 142° FOV or 100 fps at 150° FOV.
- Audience mode: Share the pilot’s perspective in audience mode, which connects up to eight additional goggle sets to the pilot’s view so even onlookers can experience the flight.
DJI makes it easy and safe for beginning fpv pilots to learn how to fly fully manually with the use of a new DJI Virtual Flight App.
DJI FPV uses the latest version of the DJI Fly app, which now includes detailed tutorials on how to operate DJI FPV. The newly developed DJI Virtual Flight App is a free simulator app that familiarizes new pilots with drone flying movements in an easy, fun and risk-free environment. The simulator allows pilots to fly the DJI FPV drone in various settings using the dedicated controller.
The DJI FPV drone and DJI Care Refresh
DJI Care Refresh is now available for DJI FPV. For an additional charge, DJI Care Refresh 1-Year Plan offers comprehensive coverage as well as up to two replacement units within one year. The two-year plan provides three replacement units in two years and extends the original warranty period by one more year. Receive your replacement even sooner with DJI Care Refresh Express. DJI Care Refresh also includes exclusive VIP after-sales support and free two-way shipping. DJI Flyaway Coverage is not available for this product. For a full list of details, please visit https://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh.
DJI FPV drone price and availability
DJI FPV is available for purchase today from store.dji.com and from authorized retail partners. DJI FPV can be purchased in several options. The standard DJI FPV Combo includes the FPV drone, remote controller 2, FPV Goggles V2, all required cables and one battery for the retail price of $1,299.
The DJI FPV Fly More Kit is also available, which includes two additional Intelligent Flight Batteries and the dedicated charging hub for the retail price of $299. The optional Motion Controller is sold separately and can be purchased for the price of $199. Additional info here: https://store.dji.com/product/dji-fpv.
Note: The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires you to have a visual observer present when flying the DJI FPV drone while using the DJI FPV Goggles V2. You will also have to follow the regular drone rules and practice safe and responsible drone flying.
Stay in touch!
Subscribe to our Daily Drone News email.*
Submit tips If you have information or tips that you would like to share with us, feel free to submit them here. Support DroneXL.co: You can support DroneXL.co by using these links when you make your next drone purchase: Adorama, Amazon, B&H, BestBuy, eBay, DJI, Parrot, and Yuneec. We make a small commission when you do so at no additional expense to you. Thank you for helping DroneXL grow! FTC: DroneXL.co uses affiliate links that generate income.
* We do not sell, share, rent out or spam your email, ever. Our email goes out on weekdays around 5:30 p.m.