Detroit applied for a $2.2 million Department of Justice grant to build a police drone program without asking City Council first, and council members found out on July 28, weeks after the application had already been filed. Six of them voted against authorizing it anyway. The city is now working out whether to withdraw the application entirely.

The money would stand up a drone as first responder program at the Detroit Police Department, covering low-risk calls for service and making better use of the department’s two-member scout cars. That is a sharper operational argument than most DFR pitches make. Detroit made it in a document its own council never saw.

I have tracked every major Michigan DFR launch since Dearborn went live on February 2. Detroit is the largest city in the state and the largest one still without a program. This week it handed that program’s opponents their best material yet, and it did so through a filing error rather than anything to do with flying.

The Federal Deadline Was Real, And So Was The Council Calendar

The grant Detroit chased was the Bureau of Justice Assistance FY25 Justice Reinvestment Initiative, a $19 million pool with a $4 million ceiling per site and a 36-month performance period. BJA posted it on May 8. The Grants.gov portion closed June 3 and the JustGrants submission closed June 10.

That is a 33-day window, which is genuinely tight for a city the size of Detroit. Deputy Police Chief Mark Bliss told council members the application was “completed abruptly” to hit the June 10 date, as BridgeDetroit’s Christine Ferretti reported. Terri Daniels of the city’s Office of Development and Grants said the office moved fast and should have flagged it.

Detroit City Council holds formal sessions weekly on Tuesdays, and the city charter requires it to meet nearly every business day for most of the year. Five formal sessions fell inside that window. Nobody had to choose between the deadline and the ordinance, which is why Council President James Tate landed on the line he did: “there’s a process and procedure for a reason.” Councilman Scott Benson read the relevant city code aloud during the session, and the council’s attorney, David Whitaker, confirmed the application was not initiated properly.

Chief Financial Officer Tanya Stoudemire later called it an unacceptable lapse and apologized, saying the city is now determining whether to withdraw the application or whether a path forward remains.

Federal Money Decides Detroit’s Vendor Before Detroit Does

Any DFR program funded by this grant is locked out of Chinese-made hardware from day one, which narrows the field before Detroit evaluates a single aircraft. The American Security Drone Act took full effect on December 22, 2025, and it reaches grant recipients, not just federal agencies.

FAR 52.240-1 bars the use of federal funds to procure or operate any unmanned aircraft system from a covered foreign entity on or after that date, and OMB Memorandum M-26-02 wrote the same terms into grant conditions. The FCC moved the same day, adding every foreign-made drone to its Covered List and blocking new equipment authorizations for DJI, Autel Robotics, and every other foreign manufacturer. Those two actions run on separate legal tracks. The one that governs how Detroit can spend this money is the ASDA.

The practical result is that Detroit’s $2.2 million buys American, from a short list led by Skydio, BRINC, and Flock Safety’s Aerodome. That is worth saying plainly because Tuesday’s debate treated hardware as an open question. Washington already closed it.

The budget math deserves scrutiny too. Spread across 36 months, $2.2 million is roughly $733,000 a year to cover about 359 square kilometers (139 square miles) of land. Orlando spent $6.83 million on 11 Skydio aircraft across nine docks. Warren, at roughly a quarter of Detroit’s area, built a joint police and fire program across six fixed sites. Detroit’s grant funds a start, not a citywide network.

Detroit’s Fire Department Already Solved The Problem DPD Skipped

The Detroit Fire Department owns fourteen Skydio X2E aircraft and got them through the city’s own oversight process, which makes DPD’s shortcut harder to defend. DFD filed Surveillance Technology Specification Reports covering its drone program and returned again in April 2025 for tethered aircraft, each posted to the city’s public CIOGS document page.

DPD, meanwhile, has no approved drone policy at all. A draft sits with the 11-member civilian Board of Police Commissioners, and Bliss said the department expects BOPC sign-off in the coming weeks, after which Chief Todd Bettison would have to approve it before anything takes effect.

Council Member Gabriela Santiago-Romero, who chairs the Public Health and Safety committee, cited that missing policy as part of why she voted no, along with concerns about how police departments elsewhere have used the technology. She was right on the sequencing. A department that cannot point to an approved use policy should not be twelve weeks past a federal filing on a program that needs one.

The Oversight Ordinance Is The Fight Nobody Named On Tuesday

Detroit’s Community Input Over Government Surveillance ordinance, effective June 2021, requires a department to publish a Surveillance Technology Specification Report on the city website at least 14 days before council hearings on the technology. Drones fall squarely inside it, as the fire department’s own filings demonstrate.

Detroit has already lost in court over this. In a published opinion issued October 9, 2025, in Eagan v City of Detroit, the Michigan Court of Appeals found the city violated the ordinance when it approved ShotSpotter contracts without posting the required report on time, and sent the case back to Wayne County Circuit Court to sort out a remedy. Judge Brock Swartzle wrote for the majority that procedural safeguards cannot be waved off as technicalities.

Nine months later, a different city office filed a $2.2 million surveillance-adjacent grant application without telling council. The pattern is the story, and the drones are incidental to it.

Michigan is not short on drone politics right now either. Oakland County approved a Flock drone pilot in April over loud public objection, at a cost of $2.5 million for two years if the county keeps it past the December 15 opt-out. Lansing introduced a 15-bill counter-drone package in February that would restrict what public agencies can buy and fly.

DroneXL’s Take

I want Detroit to have a DFR program. Dearborn proved the model works in this state, Kent County’s deputies are getting aircraft overhead about 90% of the time, and Detroit runs two-member scout cars, which makes the efficiency case stronger here than in most cities that already built one.

Which is why the grants office deserves the beating it took Tuesday. Nobody killed this program on the merits. Detroit’s own paperwork came close to killing it before a single aircraft was specified or a vendor was named. Two weeks ago I covered Minneapolis killing a free 75-day Skydio trial on a 6-6 council vote over questions that had nothing to do with whether the drones worked. DFR programs almost never die on capability. They die on trust, and trust is the one input a grants office can destroy without meaning to.

Here is the part that should worry anyone who wants this program to survive. Detroit already has a published appellate ruling on its record for cutting corners on surveillance oversight. Now it has skipped council on a drone grant. Every privacy group in Wayne County just got handed a two-instance pattern with a court opinion attached, free of charge, and they will use it on every DFR vote from here.

The fire department demonstrated the correct path years ago. File the specification report, post it for 14 days, take the public meeting, absorb the criticism, then buy the aircraft. It is slower, and under city code it is not optional. Watch for whether DPD files a CIOGS Surveillance Technology Specification Report on the DFR program before any vendor contract reaches council, because that document, not the grant, is where this program lives or dies.

If Detroit withdraws and refiles clean next cycle, it loses a year and keeps its credibility. Given what the last one cost the city in court, that is the cheaper trade.

Sources: BridgeDetroit, reporting by Christine Ferretti; Bureau of Justice Assistance FY25 JRI NOFO; FAR 52.240-1; City of Detroit CIOGS filings; Michigan Court of Appeals opinion in Eagan v City of Detroit (No. 366454).

DroneXL uses automated tools to support research and source retrieval. All reporting and editorial perspectives are by Haye Kesteloo.